Saturday, January 1, 2011

FFFC 52 "Endless Summer"

Happy New Year everyone, I pray that this year will bring you more love, peace, and happiness than you could ever imagine.  The last year was ushered out with a visit to our daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren in Lake Stevens, WA.  New Years Eve was welcomed in with our daughter and granddaughter in Spokane.  The weather is cool, subzero, but the sun is shining, which I will take as a good omen for the coming year.  I managed to finish the challenge for the FFFC group which I joined in September and to also get a walk in today!
 
Okay, this group is really pushing my boundaries, but in a good way.  I was going to use the holidays and travel as an excuse to not complete this challenge.  The real reason being that abstract quilts are a new venue for me and understanding the colorfield concept was difficult for me.  But hey, I am three for three for these challenges, so I forged ahead!  A post a couple of days ago cleared the waters a little for me, so I went ahead and attempted a piece.

I have titled my adventure "Endless Summer" which is what I am wishing for in the subzero temperatures of Spokane, WA.  I chose the colors of blue (for the sky), green (for the plants), and yellow (for the sun).  I pulled out a piece of white silk and used my dyes to paint it, which is another first for me.  Once the foundation was done, I struggled with what to add to it.  I have been reading some posts about lutradur and it's transparency, so I decided to paint it with the same colors.  After it was dry, I sliced it and diced it and then rearranged the pieces into a grid pattern.  I think that if I had diluted my dyes more, the grid would have blended more into the background, but I didn't really consider this until everything was already put together.  I then quilted it with vines and leaves, and yes, those are the sun's rays peeking out of the squares!  I echo quilted around the grid and am thinking that I will add more rays on the outside of the grid.  I believe that it loosely fits what I understand to be the colorfield style.  It is okay if I didn't hit it on all levels, because I love my piece and it brightened my otherwise very cool day!

4 comments:

  1. Just beautiful! It seems to glow from within and it brings a ray of sunshine to this gloomy winter day. I love the quilting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a creative Momma I have! You've been without a grandkid to watch for a month and a half now. Where's the next quilt?

    ReplyDelete