Friday, April 29, 2011

Ethan and Caleb's Portrait Quilts

I began these two pieces while staying in Spokane before Christmas.  I had completed Caleb's portrait, but just began Ethan's before we left for southern California in February.  I have been working on various fractured pieces, but knew that I had to complete these before returning to Washington in June, otherwise my daughter would just have one more promise of something which I was going to do for her.

Caleb's portrait was taken from a picture of him while he was on an annual camping trip with Nate's (Caleb's Daddy's) family at Icicle near Leavenworth, WA.  Caleb was spending some time fishing in the river with a stick rigged with string and a bottle cap.  I have titled this piece "Caleb, a Fisher of Men!" which is who I believe he will grow up to be some day.

Ethan's portrait is of a picture taken while he, Caleb, and their mommy were at the strawberry farm picking fruit for jam, which they also do annually.  Usually Ethan and Caleb have full tummies and red faces by the time the journey is over.  I titled this one "Ethan the Harvester".  I believe that his walk with God is just beginning and that he (Ethan) will do great things for his holy Father!



"Ethan the Harvester"

"Caleb, a Fisher of Men!"




















Both pieces will attached to wrapped canvas and hung as portraits.  My next portrait quilt will be of my daughter Mandi, her husband Nick, and my granddaughter Pearl taken at their wedding over a year ago.  I think that this time I will try fused fabric rather than painting the faces and body parts!

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Fabulous Louise! I'm in awe of the beauty that God passes through you with your talent for all of us to enjoy. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loúise,
    Your capability to show love through your creations is a very special gift! When your daughter was here in Berlin years ago, she brought a small quilt from you. I have it on a chest and look at it everyday. A truly living gift that continues to give through the years. Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many reasons why these portraits work. You have a very good sense of contrast and color and how to make value and shadow to create depth and form. Very, very good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Extraordinary work, beautiful grandsons, too! I am in awe of this work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome work Louise! We can't wait to hang them in our home :) Nate

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Louise these are wonderful, I love portraits and who better than your grandchildren.
    Just a comment, I find the letter or color of background on this blog very difficult to read. IMHO

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are wonderful! Someday I have to try portraits.

    ReplyDelete