Friday, December 3, 2010

FFFC 'Garden Globe'






The challenge for November was to do an abstract piece using just one shape.  I have to admit that this was a difficult challenge for me as I have not done an abstract piece per se, even though I have been quilting for a number of years.  I have seen a lot of abstract pieces which I have coveted, and have contemplated playing with the style, but had not followed through.  I am not really in love with this piece, but I will definitely play with this concept in the future.  Thanks for pushing me outside of my box.

That being said, I decided to use circles as my shape, and fit it into my self selected theme of botanicals.  I used some of my photos and some from the Morgue Files and played with them in PSE 9.  I applied a free action (which I downloaded from the web), called Crystal Ball to each of the photos and then printed them onto fused fabric treated with Digital Grounds.  I then fused and cut out organza and the black and white circles.   I quilted the background with circle motifs prior to placing the fused pieces on top (after several attempts to find a suitable placement).  I used gel pens to add some bling to the flower globes and then stitched everything down.  I then did some bobbin work (my first time) on the globes using some Razzle Dazzle from Superior Threads.  I thought about adding some beadwork or paintsticks on the background circles.  Any and all suggestions are welcome.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this piece...I do make a few abstracts myself and like to look at what others do with abstracts. You should definitely do more of these.
    I enlarged the photos and I feel I'm really looking into a crystall ball. I've not seen anything like this before. You did a wonderful job on this one. Your addition of gel pen and tulle turned out beautifully.
    I'm going to try to find the crystall ball application on the web that you downloaded.
    I'm now one of your followers and can't wait to see what you do next. Love them all..portraits and this one are my favs so far...I haven't seen everything yet though. Your leaves abstract is so good too...Now you know why I'm following your blog. Back to looking...

    ReplyDelete